Sports Development Office,
Willowburn Sports & Leisure Centre,
Alnwick NE66 2JH
Malcolm Moore - Senior Development Manager
Tel: 01670 623521
Who we are
Rural Sports Development teams help people in North Northumberland take part in a wide range of sport and physical activities at a level suitable for them.
Sports Development work in rural communities to provide activities to encourage both local people and clubs to run their own sessions, helping with sustainability and increased participation.
What we do
We run different programmes throughout the year which you can find out more about here
and please check our Facebook page here for real time updates on everything we bring to the county. Our main objectives are to:
- help set up new sporting clubs or sessions
- make your existing club or activity more sustainable
- fund and development planning for new activities and facilities
- provide local training courses/workshops for coaches and volunteers
- promote and develop disability sport
- deliver activities in rural communities (subject to availability)
- provide risk assessment and health and safety advice
- clubmark (or NGB equivalent e.g Charter Standard)
- provide club welfare (child protection) information
- provide capital development for sporting provision
- signpost individuals to opportunities and clubs
- support voluntary organisations e.g Parish Councils to develop activity
Alnwick & District Sports Council and Berwick & Disctrict Club Forum
Alnwick & District Sports Council and Berwick & District Club Forum are voluntary groups whose members are mainly made up of local sports clubs, sport development staff and Northumberland county council members. There are a number of different roles that the sports councils covers in order for us to give as much support and assistance as possible to help Alnwick district’s sporting community grow stronger and more efficient.
Our main aim is to support the development of clubs and individual sports people from the individual districts. Whether this is to enable volunteers to gain coaching qualifications or to purchase new equipment, we try to help with funding where appropriate.
The sports councils also hold an annual Sports Awards ceremony which has become one of the highlights of the local sporting calendar. This allows us to celebrate the sporting successes of local sports men and women and recognise their fantastic sporting achievements.
For more information on the sports councils or how to become affiliated please contact the following:
Alnwick & District Sports Council - Jane Hardy on 01670 629327
Berwick & District Club Forum - Dave Pick 07817537923